A man who allegedly never held a licence before crashing a speeding car that split in two and left two teenage boys dead will spend Christmas behind bars.
Nicholas Thew did not appear in Liverpool Local Court on Wednesday following his arrest over the crash at Ashcroft in Sydney’s southwest on Monday.
The 27-year-old remained in the cells as his lawyer Mohamad Sakr flagged a release application when the case returned to court in January, saying there were “underlying issues” at play.
Mr Sakr did not elaborate further on those issues as he left court, telling the media he was not a medical expert and had not yet seen any relevant reports.
“My condolences sincerely to the two young kids’ families,” he said.
“They are very tragic circumstances and the matter should remain confidential between the courts until these matters are resolved in a particular way.”
Mr Sakr added he had been instructed to not make any further comments.
At the crash site, mourners placed footballs, teddy bears and toy speed bikes alongside flowers and candles in tribute to the boys.
Messages of grief and support for their families could also be seen among photos and crosses, positioned on a tree near where the crash occurred.
The boys’ families issued a joint statement on Tuesday night asking for privacy.
“Both of our families are still in shock and devastated over yesterday’s tragic crash,” the statement said.
“We are continuing to come to terms with the loss of our much-loved son and brother.”
Thew was arrested at Wetherill Park Police Station on Tuesday afternoon, more than 24 hours after the grey Ford Falcon sedan hit a tree and power pole.
He was charged with nine offences, including two counts of aggravated dangerous driving occasioning death and failing to render aid after the deadly crash.
Police allege he was driving at more than 45km/h over the speed limit of 50km/h on the suburban street before it veered onto the footpath.
The Sadleir man has also been accused of driving the car despite never holding a licence.
Thew and a 23-year-old man were initially taken to Liverpool Hospital under police guard following their arrests, for assessment of injuries allegedly sustained during the crash.
The crash sparked a day-long manhunt after two men were seen freeing themselves from the wreckage and leaving the scene, where the bodies of the two boys, aged 13 and 14, lay.
No charges have yet been laid against the second arrested man and police said their inquiry was ongoing.