After a devastating bushfire season ravaged about 1.6 million hectares in Victoria, planned burning will start across the state ahead of milder weather conditions.
With all blazes in the state now contained and average rainfall predicted for autumn, the Country Fire Authority and Forest Fire Management Victoria will carry out burn-offs, it was confirmed on Wednesday.
“Victoria is one of the most bushfire prone regions in the world,” FFM Victoria Chief Fire Officer Chris Hardman said.
“While planned burning will never be a cure-all, it is a key part of bushfire preparedness.”
Areas including the Dandenong Ranges, Mount Dandenong, Upwey, Olinda, the Macedon Ranges and Bendigo will be the first to get burns.
They are also scheduled for the south west at Colac, Cressy and Camperdown, and around townships along the Great Ocean Road.
The amount of prescribed planned burning carried out in the state last year became a point of contention during last summer’s fire season.
Authorities said that dry conditions made backburning extremely difficult in the previous year, but denied the state wasn’t prepared for the fire season.
A $2.55 million inquiry will be held into this year’s deadly bushfires, with the first report due in the middle of 2020.
The review will be run by inspectorate general of emergency management Tony Pearce.
Premier Daniel Andrews said the response to summer’s fires had already been influenced by the royal commission into the fatal 2009 Black Saturday bushfires.
A federal royal commission has also been established, which will also examine fuel loads and the management of hazard-reduction burns.